This is another one of the original four recipes! Though we seem to eat this every week, I still love them. They are very simple to make, easy to prep ahead of time and are full of all kinds of healthy goodies.
Make sure that you don’t overcook your potatoes, as they need to be firm enough to hold together the rest of the ingredients. A knife inserted into them should slip through, but not tear them apart.
Feel free to make these up to 8 hours in advance! They need at least 1 hour in the fridge to meld, but any additional time after that does nothing but help.
Salmon and Spinach Fish Cakes
6 medium white potatoes, peeled and chopped
3-4 salmon fillets
2 handfuls of spinach, washed and chopped fine
1 tsp lemon zest, optional
salt and pepper to taste
whole wheat flour to coat
1. Preheat the oven to 400*F (200*C). Place the salmon fillets, a small drizzle of olive oil and salt and pepper into individual aluminum foil packets on a baking sheet. Bake for 25-30 minutes, until the fish is light pink and flakes easily.
2. Meanwhile, boil potatoes until just done, approximately 10 minutes. Drain and mash with a small knob of butter (don’t be afraid to leave them lumpy! This enhances the flavor). Season with salt and pepper.
3. Once the potatoes are mashed, add the chopped spinach , stir to mix and cover to allow the spinach to steam. Add lemon zest, if using.
4. Flake the salmon, paying extra care to remove any bones that might be present. Add the salmon to the mash. Let cool until able to touch.
5. Make patties by flattening some of the mix between your hands. Place on a plate, cover and refrigerate at least an hour.
6. Heat olive oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium high heat. Coat each patties with flour on both side. Fry on each side until brown, adding oil as needed.