Well….really they are more like savory cookies.
But, my are these tasty! They have a really nice cheesy flavor and a good crispiness to them, especially the thinner ones. Myles had a blast “forking” the dough…his are not pictured, for obvious reasons! 😛
Though it is hard to eyeball exactly, try to make these crackers on the small side. The flatter, the better as the thick ones are almost too rich.
Homemade Cheese Crackers
1/2 cup of butter, softened
1/2 lb cheddar cheese, grated
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup white flour
1/2 tsp salt
1. Preheat the oven to 350*F (160*C).
2. Cream together butter and cheese.
3. In a separate bowl, combine all the dry ingredients. Slowly incorporate the dry into the wet, stirring until you have a nice dough.
4. Roll dough into 1″ balls. Place them on an ungreased cookie sheet. Flatten with a fork in a criss-cross fashion.
5. Bake for 12-15 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.
Recipe slightly adapted from the fabulous: http://onehungrymama.com/2009/02/let-them-play-with-food-the-value-of-self-feeding-homemade-cheese-crackers/