And with this recipe, I declare myself done with baking for at least a month! Not sure if it’s just the food blog thing, but I really felt an obligation to celebrate Cupcake Week to the full. Funny how this feeling doesn’t include all food holidays. This week is Welsh Food Appreciation Week. Hmmmm….I think I’ll pass on the Laver Bread and Cockles. Bleh…..
I first tasted Banoffee Pie when my friend Sara made it many years ago. Her father was living and studying in London and when he came home to visit, he brought home tales of this very British dessert. Fast forward five years, now I live in the UK and it is everywhere! If you have never heard of it, banoffee pie is a graham cracker (digestive biscuit) crust, topped with toffee sauce, freshly sliced bananas and whipped cream. Some drizzle chocolate on top, some don’t. It is rich and gooey and fresh all at the same time.
While I love the pie, this recipe takes the cake! (pun intended)
sweetened condensed milk
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup bananas, mashed
1/4 cup milk
2 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
freshly whipped cream, shaved chocolate and sliced banana* to garnish
1. Preheat the oven to 350*F (175*C). Line a muffin tin with baking papers.
2. Pour the condensed milk into a small oven proof dish, cover tightly with aluminum foil and place in a casserole dish of water. Bake in the oven for about 2 hours, or until it turns light brown and thick (dulce de leche).
3. Meanwhile, make the cupcake batter. Cream together butter and sugar. Add eggs and milk, stirring until combined.
4. In a separate bowl, combine the dry ingredients. Slowly add to the butter and sugar mix, stirring until completely mixed.
5. Spoon into baking papers and bake for 20-25 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.
6. Once cool, cut a cone into each cake, filling with the dulce de leche. Garnish with whipped cream, chocolate and bananas.
*Note: Bananas oxidize when cut; to prevent browning, squeeze some lemon juice on top.*
Recipe adapted from: http://www.squidoo.com/banana-cupcake-recipe