Few things in life go as perfectly together as broccoli and cheddar cheese, no matter what form they come in! Today was super rainy and cold, so the boys and I stayed in and watched movies all day. We are running pretty low on ingredients, so after a cursory scan of the contents of my fridge, I
was left with no choice decided to make this nice, hearty soup. It is really yummy and filling, yet still feels pretty light…which I’m thinking is just because of the color. Serve with a nice crusty bread roll or with these homemade cheese crackers.
Broccoli and Cheddar Soup
2 Tbsp butter
1 large potato, peeled and chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
1 medium carrot, peeled and chopped
1 lb broccoli, florets cut into small pieces and stalk peeled and chopped
1 veggie stock cube + boiling water
salt and pepper to taste
1 tsp paprika
1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
1. Melt butter in a large stock pot over medium high heat. Add potato, onion, carrot and broccoli stalk pieces and fry until the onion is soft.
2. Add boiling water (about 1″ above the veg) and the stock cube; reduce heat to a simmer and cook until the potato is done (approximately 30 minutes).
3. Add broccoli florets and more water to just cover the veg, if necessary. Season with salt, pepper and paprika. Cook for about 5-7 minutes.
4. Remove from heat. Using an immersion blender, puree the soup completely.
5. Return to the heat; add the cheddar and stir to melt. Adjust seasoning as needed.