We are a bit pizza-crazy in this house. The hubby will eat any pizza, but me…I like a good gourmet! Unfortunately, no new veggie options yet, as I am still lovin ‘the Tricolore too much! But, here is Paul’s all time favorite pizza.
I’ve made this with and without bacon…both are nice (so I’ve heard) so use your discretion! If you do, be sure to fry it until it is nice and crispy first.
BBQ Chicken Pizza
1 Whole Wheat Pizza Dough (recipe follows)
1 chicken breast
a pinch of salt
1/2 cup red onions, sliced fine
1 red pepper, diced
fresh mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced
parmesan cheese, grated
1. Preheat the oven to 400*F (200*C).
2. Season the chicken breast with salt and pepper; bake for 25-30 minutes, or until white in the middle. Cut into cubes.
3. Meanwhile, prepare the pizza base by stretching and shaping one portion of dough onto a lightly greased pizza pan. Thin and crispy is best!
4. Sprinkle the dough with salt and a little drizzle of olive oil. Spread on the BBQ and top with the remaining ingredients.
5. Set the oven to 500*F (260*C). Bake for about 15 minutes or until you get a hollow sound when the crust is tapped.
Basic Pizza Dough
1 tsp instant or active dry yeast
1 1/2 cups warm water
2 cups plain flour
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 tsp sea salt
1/3 cup olive oil
1. Place warm water in a bowl; sprinkle yeast over top and set aside.
2. In a large bowl, mix together plain flour, whole wheat flour and salt.
3. Drizzle oil in slowly as you stir, to distribute evenly.
4. Make a well in the center of the flour and pour in the yeast water. Stir until the dough comes together in a sticky, gooey mass.
5. Grease a large bowl with olive oil and place dough inside. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and set aside for at least 2 hours. Feel free to place in the fridge at this stage for up to 4 days. (It rises just fine)
6. When ready to use, section into 4 separate doughs for a thin crust, 2 for thick.